As we descend from another dizzying week it’s likely most of us will be feeling a bit weird. We’re having to adapt incredibly quickly and, silver linings aside, it’s really hard going.
The toll this is taking on all of us can’t really be overstated. Change any day of the week asks a lot of our brains and bodies, but all of this is off the scale demanding. And what’s more, many of our normal ways of coping have been taken away, leaving the remaining ones to be seriously put to the test.
Some of what you’re doing to cope will be working well for you, while some things may not. It’s early days and everything is so new it’s all trial and error at this point – making now a really good time to recalibrate.
There is so much advice being shared on how to cope, survive and even thrive right now – which is great – but I’m a firm believer that most of the time you know what’s best for you.
With this in mind, I’ve put together a 10-15 minute check in that you can do any time. It’s designed to help you help yourself and take a well-earned break, so you will be better set up to cope in the days ahead. Even a short pause and reflection can leave you feeling more grounded and in control – two things which are very, very welcome right now.
before you get started…
- Take your time, there is no rush, move like a sleepy sloth
- Grab a pen and some paper
- Find a comfy and quiet(ish) place to sit
- Get yourself a drink – ideally caffeine and alcohol free – but anything goes
- Write down your answers to the questions below – writing as much or as little as you like
- Spend as long as you like on this and come back to it if you need to
- Follow the exercise to the end if you feel up to it
okay, right now, FOCUS ON YOU
- Take three deep breaths – in through your nose and out through your mouth – closing your eyes if you comfortable doing so
- Close your eyes (again, if you feel comfortable) and sense:
- How does your stomach feel?
- How do your feet feel?
- And how does your head feel?
- Take a moment to relax any areas of tension that you can feel in your body and if you can, raise a smile
- How would you describe how you are feeling right now? Perhaps if not in words, then a colour or shape
- Describe your week in three words – be honest!
- What have you found most challenging this week?
- Is there anything about the situation that you are enjoying?
- What have you done that has helped you feel calm?
- What support, near or far, has helped you most?
- What do you want to do more of in the coming days?
- What do you want to do less of?
- What will help you stick to these intentions?
- What three things are you most grateful for this week?
- Again, take three deep breaths – in through your nose and out through your mouth – closing your eyes if you comfortable doing so
- How are you feeling right now?
- And you’re done. Well done!
- If you fancy it, choose a song that fits your mood, put it on and do what feels good – dance, lie down, just listen
If you’ve found this check in useful then have a go at doing it again next week. A regular check in will really help over the next few weeks as things in your world and everyone else’s continue to evolve. And if you know of someone who might find this check in useful then consider sending it their way. I hope you have a good next few days : )