this exercise will support you to:
- Work out what your energy levels are
- Reflect on what is giving and taking energy from you
- Decide what you want to do to restore the balance
It’ll take about 15 minutes to complete.
before you get started…
- This exercise is not a test of anything or anyone – there are no right or wrong answers. It may benefit or be shared with others in future, but for now it is just for you
- Please proceed with the greatest kindness and compassion you can muster
- Grab a pen and some paper and find a quiet place to sit
- Make yourself comfortable
- Make yourself even more comfortable
- Write down your responses to the questions below, following it through to the end if you feel up to it
- Take a few moments to slowly scan your body from bottom to top, noticing any feelings that stand out for you as you go
- Can you pick a colour that sums up how you’re feeling today? What led you to choose this colour?
- On a scale of 1 (totally out of gas) to 10 (full tank) how much energy do you have left? How long have you felt like this – hours, days, weeks or months?
- What situations or activities close to home (large or small) are using your energy up? Write a list of these
- What things, further afield – in your community, country or globally – are using up your energy right now? Add these things to your list
- Next to each item on your list note next to it whether it’s using a small, medium or large amount of your energy
What works for you?
- Close your eyes and imagine yourself feeling rested and relaxed, where are you and what are you doing?
- What things in your life, now or previously, bring you energy? (Don’t worry about catching everything, just what springs to mind)
- When and with whom (if anyone) do you feel most at ease and relaxed?
- What are your favourite things to do to care for yourself?
restoring balance in the days ahead
- Reflecting on the things that bring you energy or support you to feel rested, which of these things could you do more of in the coming days?
- Is there anything you need to do less of to restore your energy and bring things into balance?
- Of the reserves you have, what do you need (as in absolute musts) to spend them on in the days ahead? What would you prefer to do instead?
- Thinking of the days ahead what two things are you going to 100% commit to doing (or not doing) to help restore your energy balance?
- Close your eyes (if you feel comfortable doing so) and take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth
- How do you feel now? Sum it up in three words if you can
- Would you say this exercise has taken away or restored your energy? What about it has had this affect on you?
- And you’re done. Good job. Pop your piece of paper somewhere safe, recycle it or burn it up. Whatever feels right for you
- If you can, take a bit of time out now to let what you’ve been reflecting on settle