This exercise will support you to:
- Focus on what you can and would like to change
- Decide on what you’re going to do differently
- Feel different from when you started
It’ll take about 20 minutes to complete.
before you get started…
- Grab a pen and some paper and find a private place, where you can move and write uninhibited
- Have to hand a way to play some music
- This exercise may shift or bring up feelings, go easy and if you feel at any time you prefer to pause or stop, then do
- Write down your responses to the questions below, following it through to the end if you feel up to it
- Stand up in a space where you can move, you’re going to spend a few minutes moving to free up your energy
- Put on a song that you like to dance or move to
- Stop at any time if you feel the need to, but don’t worry about looking silly, no one can see you : )
- Listen to the music and move / dance to it if you feel like it
- When the song stops, stand still and breath slowly until your breath returns to a normal pace
- Scan your body, noting how things feel – tight, loose, cold, warm, numb, tingly?
- Imagine you are river flowing through the landscape, what is your river like? Close your eyes and visit your river:
- How quickly or slowly does it move?
- What is in it?
- What is around it?
- Where does it come from, and lead?
- Is there anything about your river that surprises you?
- What is beautiful about it as it is?
- If anything, what about your river would you like to change?
find a place to start
- What do you wish was different, large or small, in your life and the world around you? Write down a list all the things you can think of
- Which of these things do you have personal control or influence over? Underline with one line the things you have a little control over, underline with two lines the things you have a lot of control over
- Of the things you have a lot of control over, choose the one that you think will be the easiest to change
GET TO KNOW YOUR THING
- Take some time to get to know this thing you’d like to change:
- How does it make you feel at the moment?
- How long have you wanted to make this change for?
- What impact is this thing having on your or other’s lives?
- Write down the thing you’d like to change in the middle of the page, write around it all the options you have for changing the situation
- Circle the options that feel both easy and attractive
- Would you like to take these option forward? If so, decide now, what do you need to do next to start this change?
- Note down three words to describe how you are feeling now
- On reflection, is this different or the same from when you started?
- However you feel now, well done, thinking about making changes happen takes courage
- It’s very much up to you what you do with the new insight you’ve developed, whatever you do next, go easy on yourself and good luck : )