This exercise will support you to:
- Gain perspective on the highs and lows of the year
- Recognise your achievements
- Look ahead with your head held high
It’ll take about 10 minutes to complete – feel free to spend as long on it as you like of course.
To start, make yourself comfortable
- Grab a pen and some paper to write on
- Choose a comfortable and quiet place to sit down and write
- Make yourself really comfortable – are you warm enough, is the light right?
- Make yourself even more comfortable, do something extra to make yourself feel really good in this place
- If you feel okay doing so, close your eyes and take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth, relaxing any tension you feel in your body as you breath out
- What activities, things, or people have helped you ride out the last 12 months?
- What are your three stand out memories – large or small – from the year?
- Of all the things you’ve done (or not done) this year, what are you most proud of?
- What have you learnt, about yourself or the world, through your experiences this year? (you don’t need to catch everything, just what stands out for you)
In this moment
- As the year draws to a close, how are you feeling now? Can you sum this up in three words?
- What are you feeling grateful for at the moment? What makes this important to you right now?
- Complete this sentence: “A recent change I’ve made that I feel good about is…”
- Are there any new ways from this year, of being or doing, you’d like to take into the next year with you?
- Are there any things or situations you’d like to let go of as you move in to a new year?
- What are you looking forward to next year?
Reflect to finish
- Looking back over your answers, what stands out for you from what has come up?
- If you feel comfortable doing so, close your eyes again and take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth
- And you’re done. Good job. Pop your piece of paper somewhere safe, recycle it or burn it up – whatever feels right for you
- If you can, take a bit of time out now to let what you’ve been reflecting on settle
- Whatever next year brings, I wish you a happy and healthy year ahead : )