this exercise will support you to:
- Develop more clarity on where you are now
- Suss out how recent events have impacted you
- Work out what this may mean for you in future
It’ll take about 15 minutes to complete.
before you get started…
- This exercise is not a test of anything or anyone – there are no right or wrong answers
- Please proceed with all the kindness, compassion and honesty you can muster : )
- Grab a pen and some paper and find a quiet place to sit
- Make yourself comfortable
- Make yourself even more comfortable
- Write down your responses to the questions below, following it through to the end if you feel up to it
in this moment
- To start, describe five things about where you are sitting. Colours, smells, sounds, temperature – whatever comes to your senses
- What’s your favourite object in the room? What do you like about it?
- Now close your eyes (if you feel comfortable doing so) and take three soft, deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth
- On a scale of 1 (not at all) to 5 (very), how energised do you feel today?
- How would you describe your current mood? (If not in words, then perhaps a shape or colour)
- What changes have you made, or have happened around you, in the last few weeks and months?
- On the whole, how has this left you feeling?
- What about these changes has been most welcome?
- And what has been less welcome?
- Of ALL the things you’ve done over the last few months, what are you most proud of?
- How would you say you are feeling about the next few months?
- Of the changes you’ve made recently, are there any you’d like to grow or maintain?
- If you do want to maintain more than one change, if you could choose only one, which would you choose? What are your reasons for choosing this particular change?
- Similarly, is there anything you can’t or are not doing now that you intend to do in future? How do you imagine this thing (or things) will make you feel?
- Close your eyes (if you feel comfortable doing so), place a palm in the middle of your chest and listen to any words or feelings that come up (skip this if this is a bit much for you : )
- Take three more soft deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth
- How do you feel now?
- And you’re done. Good work. Pop your piece of paper somewhere safe, recycle it or burn it up. Whatever feels right for you
- If you can, take a bit of time out now to let what you’ve been reflecting on settle